We need somebody to edit PocketGamer.biz, the leading mobile games industry b2b portal. We’re looking for a person who is excited about going out and meeting the global games industry; who is great at conducting and writing interviews, and also ready to train a small team of journalists in the best practice of writing copy that the industry wants to read.
PocketGamer.biz is the leading mobile games industry b2b portal. It covers the mobile (iOS and Android etc) and handheld (Switch etc) games industry and is Steel Media’s flagship .biz site. It is the engine that drives the Mobile Games Awards, the Top 50 Mobile Game Makers list, and other activities, including the Pocket Gamer Connects series of events and various mobile summits and mixers. The site is updated daily with news, features, interviews, profiles, event listings, job news and other timely and regular editorial pieces that support and inform the games industry. We want it to be an essential resource for people working in the mobile and handheld games scene at every level, from student developers to the CEOs of ad networks and everybody in between. We constantly ask ourselves what utility we provide them all and what we can do to report on and connect the mobile games ecosystem.
Please note this is a website editorial role and not a video editing role. It's suitable for those with a written journalism background and not video editors.
The job can be performed from home, and so a London location is not essential.
The purpose of this role is to edit, commission and produce content for the leading mobile b2b editorial brand at Steel Media. As well as the daily content of PocketGamer.biz, the role involves contributing to brand extensions like the Top 50 list booklets and Mobile Games Awards ceremonies as well as events like Pocket Gamer Connects.
It is a role that will be directly responsible for producing and commissioning daily content – such as news, interviews and features – for PocketGamer.biz, and also taking a holistic interest in all of Steel Media’s b2b output. Primarily, you will maintain and grow the site's traffic and community.
You'll be responsible for its status in the tech and games industry, as well as for working closely with the rest of the editorial and sales teams to pass on ad opportunities. You’ll organise the team so that daily content targets are hit. You’ll also be responsible for planning and executing additional content (for instance, Top 50 Game Maker content) as needed, site regulars and other brand extensions.
This is a full-time role where you’d be required to work with the managers and other team members to devise and implement the content strategy for the .biz site and support associated activities.
This is a fascinating time to be joining as this person will help shape the activities of the company in how we cover mobile going forward. There are freelancers/team members to manage and develop the team to get the best out of them is a key part of the role, as is working with the editors of our other sites to ensure a joined up approach to editorial, events, sales, and marketing.
You will work remotely, usually from your own home. But it is valuable that you have easy access to transport centres such as a train station or airport, because we will ask you to attend industry events.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
The role could naturally evolve with market trends and any changes in the company, but the initial focus would be:
- The site’s expert content must be planned and created to hit daily targets. You will write some of it yourself and deploy the site’s other freelance contributors to create the rest. You will plan, direct, manage, edit and promote the site’s editorial output with their help to a level defined by your manager.
- You will consider data and insight from Google Analytics and elsewhere in order to devise the editorial strategy to increase readership. You will work closely with the editor-in-chief, who has overall responsibility for the good SEO planning and growth strategy of the site.
- You will also oversee the maintenance of social media channels that support PocketGamer.biz, such as the Twitter feed. You will identify, manage and create social media opportunities to grow and engage the reader community (Facebook groups and so on).
- You will help identify potential technical improvements to PocketGamer.biz.
- Oversee and grow regular parts of the site. You will ensure regular parts of the site, like event listings and company directory, are maintained and updated.
- You must liaise with other editors and staff at Steel Media and communicate strategy, suggestions, challenges and opportunities within the company.
- Work with the ad team to deliver paid content within Steel Media's editorial guidelines. To support new commercial opportunities; liaising with Chris and Lisa on advertising/sponsorship opportunities and feeding back leads/suggestions where possible.
- Attend agreed industry events and engage with the developer and reader communities. You will be the brand’s ambassador, representing us at events and conferences and growing our contacts list and industry influence, and reporting from them where appropriate.
- Supporting events: you will help plan and participate in our industry events, including small-scale mixers and large-scale conferences. This could involve helping coordinate tracks, speakers (selecting, contacting and liaising) and content. You may also be required to write content to support the marketing of any of Steel Media's events (relating to the content that would appear in emailers, on the various PG Connects sites or social channels). You will contribute to conversations intended to improve the PGC events and strengthen links between the website and the events.
- Actively engage in pitching and planning new projects: Expansions of Top 50 / Mobile Games Awards and others. You’ll bring ideas to meetings for ways that PocketGamer.biz can grow.
- Support Steel Media’s other .biz site editors where needed and work with the directors on strategy for the whole b2b division, including contributing editorial and events ideas. All our editors work closely together to make sure that all our sites are covered in the event of illness or holiday, and you will play a role in that, having regular calls with them, calling on them for help when you need it and likewise rendering assistance across the whole company if you can.
- Be ready to participate in podcasts, webinars, on-stage panels at conferences, video chats and other multimedia formats where PocketGamer.biz may be invited to have a presence.
This role requires an outgoing, self-motivated personality, someone who enjoys meeting new people and getting under the skin of the industry. It's an ideal role for someone looking to further their career in the games and tech industries and who fundamentally understands the differences between the key players across all sides of the industry – from publishers/developers, advertising networks, QA houses, middle-ware, mobile technologies and so on.
You’ll have a keen interest in new technologies and be hungry to learn more about mobile. You'll be a great writer and editor, able to convey complicated ideas in a clear and lively fashion. You’ll have an editorial background in journalism (ideally with b2b experience), likely as a section editor or deputy editor, and are hungry for more responsibility. An interest in games and tech is a must, as is a good eye for what sort of editorial is most useful to a growing industry. You'll be a great writer, and you’ll need to be super organised and good at managing deadlines, priorities and people.
Plus, you’ll benefit from a positive, entrepreneurial attitude. You’ll be a gamer; an early adopter; you’ll enjoy getting the best out of people; you’ll be good at spotting creative and commercial opportunities wherever they arise; and you’ll love being part of the industry, getting out there and talking to the movers and shakers.
You will ideally display these skills:
- Highly self-motivated and proactive, able to work to own initiative, able to meet deadlines, and manage own time and workload
- At least 3 years’ editorial experience (games/tech industry)
- Proven track record in editing a site and managing an editorial team
- Great writing skills - proven ability to write catchy headlines
- A love of networking, interviewing, interacting and hanging out with key industry players
- Valid passport, no special visa or travel restrictions
- Very stable internet connection
- Able to work home-based – ideally near to a major airport
- Willingness to travel and represent the company at conferences sometimes
- A can-do attitude when it comes to problem-solving
- You’ll need to manage multiple communications channels daily, via email, Skype, and Google Docs and not be fazed by this
Why work with us?
- Steel Media is a fast-paced, small company where decisions are made quickly. We are a small, growing company that’s recently become part of a much bigger international operation.
- This is a great chance to gain rapid experience in the games industry and communicate with some of the most important people in it.
- You’ll get a glimpse of the wider international games industry, possibly experience some travel, and certainly have your eyes opened to the possibilities of the industry. You’ll make friends from all around the world.
- The role typically involves some international travel to the locations of the PGC conferences (as well as new territories as the conference series expands) and other conferences as part of the speaker acquisition process.
- The job is flexible, and for the most part, you’ll be left unsupervised to set your own schedule at home. But you’ll also be part of a company that’ll work together online to support each other and get the job done!
- Steel Media quickly responds to trends at the forefront of the industry. We were one of the first media companies to realise the potential of mobile, VR, blockchain, the metaverse… If you’re an early-adopter and naturally curious, you’ll break a lot of new ground with us.
- The people here have a huge amount of experience: some members of the team have been working in the games media for over 25 years, and you’ll receive a great deal of on-the-job insight and support from them.
- You’ll encounter people from all around the games industry from developers to investors. If you’re interested in a career in games, publishing or events, this is a place to build your network of contacts.
- It’s a fun, geeky environment full of like-minded people.
- Negotiable, dependent on experience, but in the region of £28k+ pa (assuming 5 days, c.40 hours, per week)
- The role is being offered on a full-time basis, but a part-time role might be considered for the right applicant.
- Our office hours are generally 9 pm-6 pm (with an hour for lunch), but we are open to flexible working hours, as long as activity levels are maintained.
- We will pay reasonable expenses for travel (usually booked centrally for flights, etc) and subsistence costs when travelling for the company.
Please apply vıa Indeed